APPETIZER SALAD USING ULIDEA
- 4 sticks of white celery
- 3 ounces of goat cheese
- 12 raspberries, sliced in half
- 2 teaspoons of ULIDEA OLIVE DUST
- Green leafed herbs, such as chervil, for garnish
Wash and remove strings from the celery.
Dry the celery and fill the depressed area with the cheese.
Put on individual plates.
Place the raspberries on top of the cheese and near the sides of the celery.
Dust with ULIDEA OLIVE DUST and garnish with greenery.
(This takes lots of time and lots of pans, but it is worth the effort)
- 4-5 quarts hot water
- 2-3 tablespoons sea salt
- 3 celery stalks, cut into ½ inch pieces
- 1 ½- 2 pounds of eggplant, peeled and cut into 1” cubes
- 1 large onion, coarsely chopped
- 2 tablespoons ULIVA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 tablespoons ITALICO Extra Virgin Olive Oil for frying
- 1 ½ cups tomato pulp
- ½ cup pitted green olives, cut into pieces
- 3 tablespoons capers (rinsed and drained if packed in salt)
- 3 tablespoons of sugar (or, better, 2 of sugar and 1 of cocoa)
- ¼ cup REALE White Balsamic Vinegar 4 year old
- Freshly ground pepper
First bring the water to a full boil, then add the salt and celery. Cook until just tender, about 5 minutes. Remove the celery, refresh it in cold water and drain.
Salt the eggplant cubes and put into a colander topped with paper towels and a weight to eliminate excess moisture.
Put the onion into a large nonstick skillet or wok, drizzle with the 2 T ULIVA Extra Virgin Olive Oil, stirring to coat well, then cook over moderate heat until the onion is tender.
Add the celery and tomato pulp. Simmer until the sauce thickens slightly. Then add the olives, capers, sugar (and cocoa), vinegar. Season with salt and pepper.
Squeeze the eggplant cubes to remove excess water, rinse and pat dry with paper towels.
Using another large, nonstick skillet or wok, heat 2 T ITALICO Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Add half the eggplant and fry until soft and golden brown. Remove with a slotted spoon and drain on paper towels. Repeat with the rest of the eggplant.
Combine the eggplant with the sauce.
Serve at room temperature as a dip or as a side dish.
JEWELED STUFFED EGGS WITH ULIDEA OLIVE DUST
Hardboiled eggs peel best if stored, refrigerated, at least a week before boiling. Fresh eggs do not peel well.
As with regular devilled eggs, use an extra egg for every 12 to be served, to allow for torn whites and to make more filling with the extra yolk. Careful stirring of the eggs during the first half of boiling helps center the yolks.
- 13 eggs (refrigerated at least a week before boiling)
- 2 teaspoons finely minced scallion (green and white part) or onion
- 4 tablespoons mayonnaise
- 2 teaspoons Dijon mustard
- 2 teaspoons vinegar
- 2 teaspoons prepared horseradish
- 1 teaspoon sugar
- 1/2 teaspoon salt, plus to taste
- 1/4 teaspoon ground black pepper
- Pinch of cayenne or 4 squirts hot pepper sauce
- 2 teaspoons ULIDEA OLIVE DUST 2 tablespoons each, finely minced red and green (or other colors) bell peppers
- Shredded lettuce for serving
Bring eggs to a gentle boil in large uncovered pan with water 3 inches above eggs. Gently roll eggs around with spoon 4 to 5 times during first 4 minutes of simmering (to help yolks be centered when fully cooked). Simmer a total of 14 minutes. Remove from water and cool.
Peel eggs, rinse, and dry with paper towel. Cut in half lengthwise. Gently scoop yolks into bowl.
Mash yolks with a fork. Mix in remaining ingredients except olive dust and bell pepper. Let sit 10 minutes. Mix again, taste, and add salt, if desired.
Using two teaspoons, fill the best 24 egg whites with yolk mixture. Place in casserole or baking dish with high sides.
With fingers, sprinkle yolk mixture in eggs with olive dust, letting a little dust onto the whites. Mix red and green bell peppers. With fingers, place peppers evenly over stuffed parts of eggs.
Cover dish with lid or plastic wrap. Refrigerate until needed – up to 24 hours.
Serve on a bed of finely shredded lettuce and add additional ULIDEA OLIVE DUST just before serving. Enjoy!!
PARMESAN CHEESE WITH REALE BALSAMIC VINEGAR
Cut the cheese into small pieces and arrange on a plate. Dress with an aged REALE Balsamic Vinegar of your choice. We recommend REALE 8-year-old LeNoir Balsamic Vinegar with this dish.
Pierce each piece of cheese with a toothpick and serve.
SWEET AND SOUR GREEN PEPPERS WITH ONIONS
Serves 4-6 as an appetizer
- ¾ pound tiny green peppers (or pickling peppers)
- 3 tablespoons ITALICO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ½ cup water
- 1 teaspoon sea salt
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 3 tablespoons REALE White Balsamic Vinegar 4 year old 1 medium red onion, sliced
Remove the stems from the pickling peppers or peel and core the green pepper. Cut the peppers into strips.
Place the pepper strips into a large, nonstick skillet or wok, then pour 1 tablespoon ITALICO Extra Virgin Olive Oil over the peppers, stirring to coat. Cook over moderate heat about 5 minutes, until lightly browned, stirring often.
Add ½ cup water, salt, sugar, and vinegar. Bring to a boil, then transfer the contents of the pan to a serving dish. Mix the onions into this, then drizzle with ULIVA Extra Virgin Olive Oil. Stir to distribute evenly, then allow to cool.
Makes 6 to 8 servings
- 1 cup fine bulgur (No. 1)
- 1-1/3 cups fresh lemon juice, about five lemons
- 3 bunches scallions, trimmed and chopped
- 3 cups chopped parsley (about 2 bunches)
- 3 large ripe tomatoes, chopped
- 1/3 cup ULIVA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- Salt and pepper
Put the bulgur into a large glass or ceramic dish and sir in 1 cup of the lemon juice and 2 cups water. Cover the bowl and set aside at room temperature until most of the liquid has been absorbed and the bulgur is tender, about 2 hours. Drain the bulgur in a sieve, gently pressing to remove excess liquid. Transfer to a clean glass bowl and add the scallions, parsley, tomatoes, olive oil and the remaining 1/3 cup lemon juice. Season to taste and stir to blend to serve.