- 2 onions, chopped
- 2-4 garlic cloves, chopped
- 1 tablespoon fresh Italian parsley, chopped
- 4 tablespoons ITALICO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium eggplant, cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 2 bell peppers, cored, seeded and cut into strips
- 2 medium boiling potatoes, peeled and cut into ¾ inch cubes
- 2 tomatoes, seeded and coarsely chopped but retaining juice
- 2 tablespoons capers, rinsed
- Sea salt
- Freshly ground black pepper
- 1 tablespoon chopped fresh basil
Put the onions, garlic and parsley into a large, heavy-bottomed pot and drizzle with the olive oil. Stir to coat the vegetables with the oil, and place over moderate heat. Cook for a few minutes, until the onions are soft but not colored.
Add the eggplant cubes, pepper strips, potato cubes, chopped tomatoes with juice, capers, salt and pepper. Cook over low heat, tightly covered but stirring occasionally, for about 40 minutes, or until the potatoes are tender and all the vegetables have melted into a sauce. Uncover and evaporate excess liquid, if necessary.
Add the basil.
Serve at room temperature as a main course or a side dish.