Serves 4 as main course
Active time: 20 min.
Start to finish: 45 minutes.
- 3 T ULIVA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 2 medium onions, halved lengthwise, then thinly sliced across
- 1 ½ tsp. salt
- ¼ tstp. Turmeric (this is important!)
- 6 cups of water
- ¼ pound small pasta pieces or linguini broken into small bits
- 12 fresh kale or chard leaves (about 8 cups), center ribs discarded and coarsely chopped
- 15 oz. jar of canelli beans, drained and washed
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh cilantro
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh dill
- ½ cup finely chopped fresh parsley
- ½ cup finely chopped greens from salad onions
Sour cream for garnish
Heat oil in a 4 quart wide, heavy pot, over moderately high heat until hot but not smoking. Add onions and salt, then reduce heat to moderate and cook, stirring occasionally, until golden, about 15 to 20 minutes.
Add turmeric to onions and cook, stirring, one minute. Add water and bring to a boil. Add pasta and boil, uncovered, until tender (5-10 minutes depending on the pasta). Stir in kale/chard and beans and simmer, stirring occasionally, until greens are tender, about 5 minutes. Remove from heat. Stir in herbs, salad onion greens, and salt and pepper to taste.
Serve into individual bowls, and garnish with sour cream.