Ingredients for 6:
- 1 medium onion, minced
- ¼ cup ITALICO Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- ¾ pound pork meat, diced small
- 3 tablespoons tomato paste
- ½ cup red wine
- 2 cups passata or tomato sauce
- 2 cups water
- Salt to taste
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon
- 1 tablespoon sugar
- 1 tablespoon unsweetened cocoa powder (chocolate)
- 1 ½ pounds tagliatelle or other fairly wide pasta noodles
Saute the onion in the ITALICO Extra Virgin Olive Oil until soft. Add the pork and cook, stirring, until browned. Add the tomato paste and the wine, stirring to dissolve the extract completely, then add the tomato sauce and the water. Bring to a boil, reduce the heat, and simmer until the meat is tender and the sauce is thick, about 40 minutes. Correct the salt to taste. Stir in the cinnamon, sugar and cocoa.
Meanwhile, cook the pasta in abundant salted water until it is al dente, drain well, and toss with the sauce.
This is a traditional Christmas or winter dish with Arab and Spanish influences served in the heart of Sicily.