Ingredients for 4:
- 3 cups pureed ripe cherry, plum and Roma tomatoes (total of 3 cups using whatever varieties are available and please you) 1 16 oz. can diced tomatoes, preferably an Italian import (optional)
- 3 tablespoons ULIVA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 1 medium onion, diced
- 3 (or more) cloves garlic, minced
- 1 small hot red pepper, diced
- Fine sea salt to taste
- 1 pound orchiette (or penne, half penne, etc.) pasta
- 1 cup shredded arugula leaves (or baby spinach if arugula is not available)
- Freshly grated Parmesan or Pecorino cheese for sprinkling
Puree the ripe tomatoes. You can use a food processor, if you don’t mind the seeds, or a food mill. Set aside.
In a large saucepan (or wok) heat the olive oil over medium heat. Add the onions and cook until soft, about 5 minutes. Add the garlic and red pepper, and cook until the garlic is golden. Slowly stir in the tomatoes. If you don’t like the look of the sauce (it’s too thin looking) add the can of tomatoes with juice. Lower the heat and cook, covered, for about 10 minutes, or until the sauce thickens to a consistency you like. Season lightly with salt and keep warm over very low heat.
In the meantime, bring 4 quarts of water to boil in a large pot. Add salt once it has boiled and stir well. Cook the pasta to al dente (slightly crunchy) state, then drain.
oss the pasta with the sauce. Add most of the arugula or spinach and stir gently. Garnish with the remaining arugula or spinach and sprinkle cheese on top. Serve immediately.