Ingredients for 4:
- 1 good size eggplant, thinly sliced
- 1 pound of ripe tomatoes, thinly sliced then cut across
- Mozzarella ball, sliced
- 2 onions, thinly sliced
- 2T. ULIVA Extra Virgin Olive Oil
- 4 cloves of garlic, minced
- 2 eggs, beaten
- 1 cup grated cheese
- Handful of basil, torn at last minute
Grill the eggplant slices. Set aside.
Put 2-3 T of water in a large fry pan or wok. Add the onions, garlic, and tomatoes and cook over low heat for 20 minutes. Add some tomato juice or passata if necessary for a sauce-like consistency. Add salt and pepper.
Oil a casserole dish and put a layer of eggplant in the bottom. Alternate layers of eggplant, sauce, and cheese. Pour in eggs, Finish with sauce on top. Cook 10 minutes in a hot (400 degree) oven, then sprinkle with cheese. Cook an additional 10 minutes. Sprinkle basil on top.